For surfing fans, or for anyone who remembers the decade old movie, Soul Surfer, the name Bethany Hamilton may sound familiar. Bethany is an incredibly inspiring woman who overcame tremendous suffering when she was just 13 years old when she was attacked by a tiger shark during one of her many surf outings.
Ultimately losing her arm to the vicious shark, Bethany saw her entire world come crashing down around her. Surfing was her passion and she was really good at it. Would she be able to continue doing what she loved? Furthermore, would she be able to compete with others, which was the other aspect of her love for the sport. However, just 26 days after the attack, Bethany would return to surfing more determined than ever.
Other than being known as an incredible surfer and incredibly tenacious woman, the talented surfer is also known for her faith in God and love for those around her. Her powerful story is one of virtue and strength.
I came upon a few super inspiring quotes for my own faith life and wanted to share them. Bethany is a true vision of what overcoming adversity looks like. I would also highly recommend looking into this woman’s entire story as well. If you haven’t seen Soul Surfer yet, I highly recommend it!
- “Gratitude is a theme in my life. Appreciation is how I was able to quickly shift my mindset after losing my arm. Instead of focusing on what I didn’t like about my body or my limitations, I choose to be grateful for the remarkable body that I have.”
- “I don’t know what other girls do before they go out in a heat but, for me, the routine is pretty simple: I pray. I pray for safety for everyone, and I pray for wisdom in my wave selection and ability to be at the right place at the right time.”
- “I don’t pretend to have all the answers to why bad things happen to good people, but I do know that God knows all those answers, and sometimes He lets you know in this life.”
- “It was a terrible thing that happened to me, but so many good things have come out of it that it has turned into a beautiful thing.”
- “In the end, my love for surfing helped me overcome my fear of sharks.”
What an amazing woman! These are my favorites, but if you have any quotes from Bethany that you find particularly inspiring, we would love to hear about them. Reach out to us at email firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below!