I just saw a meme that said, “You can buy a birthday cake and eat it whenever you want. No one actually checks.” Very funny, but it also led me to think of something in line with making a big change in your life. You can make a big change in life or even start over whenever you want; no one can stop you from this. No one checks. You can literally decide at any moment to pivot and do what you feel truly called to do. If you are in the midst of a struggle or you feel like you have hit rock bottom, or you are on your way to rock bottom, you can change your course.
Truly at any time in life, you can decide, I want something more or I need to change and seek it out. Just like the birthday cake meme, there are no gatekeepers to stop you from changing your life. The only thing truly in your way is most likely you, your own fear of failure, or your fear of what others may think.
For example, you might feel that after years of working at a certain job or career, you have had a gnawing feeling that you want to switch to something that you are more passionate about. You have been silencing the urge, but it has been getting harder and harder to do that and you finally think it may be time. Or maybe an opportunity that you had not predicted came up and it actually makes a lot of sense for you to pull the trigger and do it.
Another example could be that you have hit rock bottom and are really struggling in your life. You feel like you need to start over, but you do not know how. This might seem too difficult, even impossible; however, it can be done!
Admittedly, there can be a stigma that some have attached to this idea of starting over or shifting your direction in life that has caused many to feel that doing such a thing would be a bad idea. Thankfully, making big changes or even starting over is more common than we think, and there have been many people who have had to do this and have found much more joy waiting for them on the other side of these changes once they had the courage to pursue them.
Personally, I had felt called to start Zenith Ministries for years before I finally stepped out in faith to do it. There was a persistent thought that it would fail that kept me from moving forward. However, God made it abundantly clear to me that He wanted this, so I could no longer say no.
I started Zenith in the Summer of 2020 and we have seen tremendous growth and progress. I have been able to see God move in people’s lives, and I myself have grown tremendously through this as well. Plus, I foresee God only doing more great things through this ministry.
Unfortunately, there is an incessant and unspoken lie creeping along in the background of our culture that has silently led many to their demise, ironically while claiming to keep them safe and lead them to success. This is the lie of perfectionism, which says that most people have gotten this whole life thing figured out on their first try, without mistakes, and you are being left in the dust if you do not have it figured out. Or, put in a harsher way, you suck as a human if you are not perfect at every moment.
However, the truth is, while some people seem to do ok and seem to get through life without too many issues, no one is perfect, and many people have moved on from a variety of imperfections in their journeys on this earth to forge beautiful, worthwhile lives.
This is great news for you if you feel like you are nervous about being imperfect, or you have made a mistake that you think you cannot bounce back from, or even if you have become dissatisfied with your life and you want to change it to discover something more.
In fact, it is important to realize this. If you fit into one of the categories just mentioned, there is tremendous hope for you still! So many others have done this and found success.
That being said, if you are in one of the categories mentioned above, here are a few things to keep in mind to help you to handle the stress of the moment you are in.
- Become aware of any negative self-talk and learn to question and refute those statements. Our actions flow from our thoughts and beliefs, even if we’re not consciously aware of them. When we learn to identify the lies we tell ourselves and replace them with truths, thus changing what we think about on a regular basis, our actions will naturally follow, and our lives will be transformed.
- Keep your eyes on the new life you want, not the old life you are leaving behind. There is a reason why your car’s front windshield is big and your rearview mirror is small. It is because what is in front of you is more important than what is behind you.
- Remember that life is not like school and you are not being graded or losing points for making errors. You will not “lose points” for having to make a change or start over.
- Learn from your mistakes. This will ensure that the value you get from your mistake greatly outweighs any negativity that comes from it.
- Commit some of your time, energy, or money to someone less fortunate than you. This will set you straight on what truly matters in life and show love to another human, which will allow love to grow inside you and leave you more satisfied in life.
You can keep these in mind not only when you need to make big changes, but also whenever you start to feel like your life seems to be falling short of what you know deep down that you are meant for. There is so much more to life than how it appears to others. There is so much more to life than whether it looks perfect.
If you would like assistance with navigating your life, with making a big change, or even starting over, we can help! We have a successful mentorship program at Zenith where you can meet with our lead mentor one on one to find insight, purpose, inner healing, direction, or all of these. Check out www.zenithministries.com/mentorship for more info or reach out to us at email@example.com or 404-333-8978.
Discover the life you are meant for with the Zenith Mentorship program.